Thursday, January 28, 2010

Week 2 - This diet is not so bad!

So week two is done, I am half way there. Week two was a little tougher than the last. I wasn't craving meat and started the week with a meal plan that included miso soup, spicy chickpea stew, black-eyed pea croquettes. Well, I couldn't find black-eyed peas anywhere! I didn't know what to substitute them for, so I decided to not bother with the croquettes.

I did make the stew and it was pretty tasty. It was filling and spicy and I used the left over garbanzo beans for hummus.

Then on Friday, I had a slip. I was out of town for a couple days working at a hotel in Calgary. I ordered myself a special meal for the meeting and figured I would just find something veggie for dinner that night. When we got to the restaurant, I was faced with pre-made food and everything had meat and/or dairy! I asked if they could make something for me or switch a sauce and was told flat out 'no'. I ended up having a pasta that had a butter sauce and no other animal product. A small slip, but figured I did my best. Later that night, after a bottle of wine and then creme brulee. Did it taste good? Oh yeah... but I felt pretty crappy after.

The next day I got back on track and found an excellent sushi place that had lots of veggie options. I researched it before going to make sure. It was well worth the trip!

This week was a little tricky and a real test of what it's like to be vegan. There are a lot of restaurants out there that use pre-made food that have lots of junk in it. Also, not everyone is ok with substituting or altering a dish for you. Doing this diet has really made me learn that I have to plan everything out. If I know someone is picking a restaurant, call ahead and if they won't help, eat before you go and pay the price of people thinking you don't eat enough as you pick at a gross, wilty salad.

I am hoping for a better week next week. It involves making vegan chocolate cupcakes, so I am sure it'll be better than this!

I am going to go listen to some hippy vegan propaganda to remind me why I am doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment