Sugar and Spice Almonds
From Colour me Vegan - Beige foods
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp oil (I used grapeseed)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp chili pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups of unblanched almonds
Preheat the oven to 250 F. Mix together all the spices and oils together then toss the nuts until everything is coated. Throw it in the oven for 30 minutes, shaking them up every once in a while. That's it!
Some benefits for Almonds - I think I have talked about them before. They are high in vitamin E and have monounsaturated fats which lower cholesterol and help prevent heart disease. They are also high in fibre, which is good for you too.
Some other beige foods (In no particular order):
Mushrooms, nuts, garlic, cauliflower, parsnips, onion, oats, seeds, quinoa, potatoes, tofu coconut, rice, the list can go on and on.
Ways to include beige foods in your meals:
- Have a grain with your meals (Whole grains, not the white bleached stuff)
- Have hummus and veggies for a snacks
- Add a bit of raw garlic to salad dressing
- use garlic, ginger and/or onion as a bas to stir fries, stews, soups and casseroles
- Have porridge or oatmeal at breakfast - check out this recipe!