Sunday, June 5, 2011

Fried Singapore Noodles AKA Getting Rid of Leftover Veggies

A quick recipe I made yesterday that I wanted to share. I was trying to get rid of a few left overs before things started to go bad on me. Ingredients that I was trying to get rid of: half a head of cabbage (left over from some pressed salad), about 8 spears of asparagus, Singapore noodles, and a half of a red onion. Kind of a weird mix up of veggies. I once made a really good recipe from the Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone that was a fried Udon noodle dish and it was really good. It also called for onion and cabbage. I figured I could adapt that recipe to save these ripe veggies from hitting the trash.

Fried Singapore Noodles *Adapted from The Kind Diet
serves 2-3

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • One package of noodles (Singapore, udon or other)
  • half a head of cabbage, shredded (about 2 cups)
  • half large onion, sliced
  • handful of asparagus (ends trimmed), chopped and steamed
  • 1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp Paprika
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • pinch of pepper flakes (omit if you don't want spicy)
  • Other vegetables if you like (Broccoli, Kale, collards, chard, mushrooms etc)

First cook the noodles until al dente and set aside. I steamed my asparagus on top of the noodles cooking. While the noodles are cooking, take a skillet and add 1 Tbsp of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the cabbage and cook for about 15 minutes or until the cabbage is soft. If it starts to burn, add some water.

Once the noodles are cooked, get a second pan (large one that will fit everything in the end, I used my big pot) heat the remaining oil and add the onion. Cook until it is soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, paprika and the Chili flakes and cook for another minute or so. Add the cabbage and mix well. Add the asparagus and the noodles and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until everything is well combined and heated through.

And serve.

I just ate this on its own, but to make a more balanced meal, have it with a salad and maybe some grilled tofu or something. Not totally necessary as I found this to be satisfying and filling on its own, but we know it is better to be balanced right?

No comments:

Post a Comment