Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Touring Peru

Finally made it to Peru ^... flight delays, running the entire Miami airport and getting zero sleep on the plane.. I was ready to get to the hotel and get some sleep... unfortunaely I spent the next 24 hours trying to track down my bags... they spend and extra night in Miami and then made to me with about 30 minutes to spare before I was on the road again. Despite this, I did get to see a little bit of the city with the 24 hours I had to wait.

I found the ocean and got to walk a bit on the beach.. also found a cool place called love park in Miraflores which seemed to be the hotspot for wedding photos. Was really strange, most of the brides were very pregnant and young. Looked like a lot of shot gun weddings going on in Lima.

The hostel I was at was good, but also like going back in time. All the decor was from the 1950s including an old radio and rotary phones.

Next I took off to find Playa mayor and ended up on a tour with a bunch of americans. In the square we went to the Church and Monastery on San Francisco. Such a cool place, very catholic. In the basement they have catacombs and when people died they just piled them on top of each other. The bones protect the church from seismic activity. Interesting way to earthquake proof a building.

In terms of food in Peru, it is very, very, difficult to find vegetarian, let alone vegan. I managed to find salad that was pretty good, though I am pretty sure it had cheese in it. The farther into the highlands I am going the harder it is to find things, but it isnt that bad. Every tastes really good and I found veggie sandwhiches.

I think the best part of Lima is the dancing. Everywhere you go, they are looking for a reason to dance. As soon as the music starts the danicing begins. Pretty sweet.

Nasca is next... Looking forward to flying over the lines and getting to wander in the desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment