Thursday, May 17, 2012

Asparagus Potato Soup

It's spring and the last thing I should be wanting to make is soup, but I came across a recipe and it sounded so good, I had to give it a go. I love asparagus and I even more love potatoes. Seemed like ultimate comfort food to me.


I actually made this soup quite a while ago.. and have been trying to post ever since.. So here is the recipe. I think there are a lot of ways to adapt it beyond what I came up with, but I don't want to delay getting this posted so here is the basic recipe. I'll try and update with some ideas to change it up a little later.

Roasted Asparagus Potato Soup
*Adapted from Vegan With a Vengeance
Serves 4, takes 45 - 60 min

  • 1 lb potato (Any kind, I used half red skin and half peeled russet)
  • 1 bunch of asparagus (I always get skinny ones. I think they taste better than fatter stalks)
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2-3 Shallots, diced
  • 3 Cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4 cups of veggie stock
  • 1 can of navy beans
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 1/2 tsp lemon zest
  • 2 Tbsp fresh dill
  • Siracha 
First, dice the potatoes into a 1 1/2" and boil for about 15 minutes or until cooked through. Drain and set aside. Roast your asparagus: cut the ends of the asparagus off and coat in 1 Tbsp of olive oil. sprinkle a couple pinches of salt on top and roast in the oven at 400 F for about 8 minutes. Check them half way through and give them a shake. Once cooked, chop into 2" pieces and set aside.
Roasted / grilled asparagus are seriously the best thing ever.
Was hard to save these 

As always prep first... if you're like me..
not prepping leads to forgetting ingredients.

Prep your vegetables if you haven't done so yet and heat the remaining olive oil in a large pot to medium heat. Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes or until translucent. Next add the garlic and the salt and pepper and cook another minute. Now deglaze the pan with white wine (Not totally necessary, I just happen to have a bit let in a bottle). Now add the stock and bring to a boil. Add the beans and the lemon zest and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the asparagus and the potato and continue to cook for about 5 more minutes.
Soup is almost done. Not the prettiest picture.. it looks better when it's blended.

If you have an immersion blender, get it and blend the soup to the consistency you like. I tend to keep it a bit chunkier and blend about 3/4 worth of the soup. If you prefer smooth, go for it!

Before serving, squeeze lemon juice over top of the soup, add some siracha to taste and garnish with a little extra dill.


No comments:

Post a Comment