Thursday, August 25, 2011

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

As a kid, I did not like most vegetables. In fact, you could probably count the foods I would eat with one hand and I did not tolerate foods and flavours combined. However, my mother tricked me with chocolate zucchini bread. Except for the name, you would never know as a kid that there were vegetables in there at all. Who ever came up with this combo was genius.

That's right, I took a bit before i could snap a pic... I couldn't resist!

I stole my mom's recipe when I moved out and I still have the scrap piece of paper I wrote it down on. It's faded and covered in chocolate, but I am pretty sure I have it down. The original recipe called for eggs so I replaced them with chia seeds. I think they are my favourite egg replacer for baking. Plus they are insanely healthy. Combine that with the dark chocolate and zucchini and basically this is a healthy snack.... well in moderation!

Why so healthy? Chia seeds are load in potassium, really high in omega-3, high in amino acids and are a complete protein. I use dark chocolate it this recipe and that is on the list of super foods. Full of antioxidants, dark chocolate is known to be good for your heart and lower cholesterol.. Then there is zucchini, another great source of antioxidants and has beta carotene, vitamins C and A. It is also low calorie and high in fiber.

Even though there is white flour (easily substituted for whole wheat, I didn't have any at the time), I stand by this is a decent snack... better than processed junk food anyways.

The recipe....

Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Makes 1 loaf

  • 1 1/2 chia eggs (click here for recipe)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1 square melted unsweetened chocolate
  • 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini, leave the skin on and buy organic if you can (about one large one)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
Easy batter, once your prep is done, it takes 5 minute to combine

Pre-heat the oven to 350 F. Make your chia eggs and then add to a bowl and beat until fluffy. Add the oil and sugar and beat again for a couple minutes. Stir in the melted chocolate, vanilla and grated zucchini. In a second bowl mix the dry ingredients and pour the wet into the dry and stir until combined.

The hardest part... Waiting for it to cool!

Bake for 50-60 minutes (test with a tooth pick, it should come out dry). Cool 15 minutes in the pan and then transfer to a cooling rack.

Photo credit: www.epicurean.com

Just like mom used to make. And for all you non-vegans... this recipe was tested with five non-vegan colleagues.. It's not just me, this is a truly addictive recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment