Sunday, January 2, 2011

Chinese Take-out, Vegan Style

I am starting to notice a bit of a trend with my posts lately. Salty and sweet treats are everywhere. It must be the dead of winter! Last night I was having a quiet night in and decided to make myself some Chinese take-out... or I suppose it should really be called Chinese Stay-in.

Sweet and Sour Seitan

Ingredients:
- One package of Seitan, but into bite size pieces
-  2 tbsp of BBQ sauce (Regular)
- 1/3 cup of vinegar (Either rice or apple cider, I used rice)
- 1 tbsp of Cornstarch
- 14-15 oz can of pineapple (chunks or crushed), reserve the juice
- pinch of salt
- 1 green pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1/2 to 1 yellow onion


Prep the veggies


Heat pan and lightly oil. Add the Setian and brown for 1-2 minutes per side.


 
 
Add the chopped veggies and saute for a few minutes. I did not have any other veggies on hand when making this. You could definetely cut back on the pepper and add in some bok choy, broccoli, carrots etc. Whatever veggies are your faves.


 



 While the veggies are cooking. Stir the BBQ sauce, vinegar, cornstartch, salt and reserved pine apple juice together and let it sit for a couple minutes.


When the veggies are starting to get tender, pour in the sauce and lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 8 minutes and then add in the pineapple. Continue to cook until the pineapple is heated through.

Serve on Rice or noodles with a salad or veggie soup. I had some left over miso soup that I had with this. It was yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment