Saturday, January 22, 2011

Winter Escape Picnic

For what seems to be the first time in a long time, I woke up and saw blue sky... Then... SUNSHINE! Such a nice day today. I almost forgot that it was still winter. Unfortunately I promised myself that today would be a cleaning day. The pigs were dirty, laundry is way overdue. So I kept my promise and stayed in. Since I hate winter and snow, I probably am enjoying this sunny day better watching it through a window. That way, I don't have to deal with the slushy snowy mess outside.
 
Inspired by the sunshine, I decided to make a summery picnic lunch. I found this recipe in The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone.
 
Tofu Salad
  • 1/4 cup of frozen peas
  • 1/3 of a block of tofu
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped celery (I did half of this)
  • 3 olives, chopped (I used green pitted)
  • 1 Tbsp rinsed capers
  • 2-3 slices of dill pickles, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp finely chopped scallion
  • 1 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
  • 1 Tbsp Vegenaise (I doubled this)
  • 2 tsp umeboshi plum paste
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice

 
So this is very easy to make. First, take the tofu and press it while you prep the veggies. Blanch the peas for a couple minutes so they are bright green.

Next, chop up all the veggies and set aside.

Once everything is prepped, boil 1/2 cup water and steam the tofu for 5 minutes. When it is done, transfer it to a bowl and mash it up with a fork.
 
Next add all the other ingredients to the bowl of tofu and mix until it is well combined. I like a creamier salad so I doubled the Vegenaise in the original recipe. You may want to start with one tablespoon and then add the second if necessary.
 
 
Makes 1-2 servings. You can eat this as a salad or on a sandwich. I decided to make a pita boat with some green leaf lettuce. This recipe has some seriously strong flavours and really packs a punch. Since I was having a winter picnic, I decided to make some lemonade... well limeade actually which went so good with this.

Super awesome to eat in the sunshine!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment