Saturday, May 21, 2011

Fronch Toast

Good morning, or maybe afternoon! I got a bit lazy this week with testing recipes from Vegan with a Vengeance after making a delicious risotto, I lived off of that and salad for the remainder of the week. Now that the long weekend is finally here, I figured I would start it off right with a little brunch.

Isa Chandra Moskowitz has a very simple recipe in her book that promises to make a Fronch toast that looks and tastes great. This is a brunch staple I have not tried since switching to a vegan diet; despite the fact that it was always my favourite.

Fronch Toast
  • 1/2 loaf of somewhat stale french bread or baguette
  • 1/2 cup soy creamer (I used soy milk with some soy milk powder mixed in for extra creaminess)
  • 1/2 cup milk (I used soy)
  • 2 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup chick pea flour
  • Oil (I didn't use)
Preheat a skillet or griddle to medium heat. After cutting up the french bread mix together the soy creamer and milk then add the corn starch. Stir until it is mixed. Next add the flour and stir. It is OK if it is a little lumpy. I added a bit of vanilla to this recipe and if I made it again I would add salt and cinnamon as well. I can't believe I forgot that was my favourite addition to a regular french toast recipe. Vanilla, Cinnamon and Salt... perfect brunch combo.


If you are using a skillet, the recipe says to add a few table spoons of oil until the bottom of the pan is coated. I used my griddle, so I just used a little bit of cooking spray. I mean, I am already eating a half loaf of french bread, I figured I should scale it back where I can. Cook for about two minutes a side and top with syrup, powdered sugar and berries.

My thoughts on this recipe? It looked just like french toast and is smelled like french toast and it had the texture of a french toast, but I found something was a bit off with the taste. It was good, but just didn't taste as I expected. I do think you should try this recipe and keep an open mind. It is a really basic formula so I think it really could be altered to suit your tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment