Friday, October 5, 2012

Trapped in a hotel Part III: Vegan Mug Cake


Today is a travel day for me, so I am writing my post today from an airplane and hopefully will remember to post this when I get to somewhere with a free internet connection. It drives me crazy that airports and planes do not offer this for free. You’d think that with all the money we pay, they could at least give us a the courtesy of a free WiFi access! So, frustrating! I usually can find a free connection somewhere... like sitting outside the executive lounge or at a McDonald’s or Starbucks, but this time my connection was quick and I couldn't sit around very long.

Today was my last day in Peoria. Kind of mixed feelings about it. I am happy to get out of there, but at the same time, I am kind of sad to think I won’t be going back. Made a good friend out there and I am going to miss her! We hung out today and I let her nap in my room while I was in class. When I came back I found out she made some microwave apple crisp for breakfast (See trapped in a hotel, part I). I totally forgot about that little treat and partially it was because I found something just as good and even a little quicker to make, but Now I think I am going to have to make some apple crisp again really soon. Talking about it is making me crave it! Marci – this post is dedicated to you because you made Peoria a million times better J

My last post I talked about traveling as a vegan and living out of hotels. One thing I did not include there is a fabulous and super easy recipe so you can make cake in your room! All you need is a microwave and a few simple ingredients. I was actually planning to save this post so I could make a few combinations, but so far I have only made one. I have some ideas for others, but I am going to test them first. Expect and part II to this post as well.

My sister told me about this recipe and it is seriously the best. Ever had an insane craving for cake? I live alone so when it happens, I generally go bake me a cake. Then I eat the entire thing (well maybe not every piece, but I will eat it with almost every meal until it needs to be tossed!) This is not exactly a good thing, but how can you bake one piece of cake? The answer? Mug cake! Not only will this cake be ready in under 5 minutes, but it is pretty damn good. I wouldn't go so far as to say it is on par with a real baked cake. Mostly because of the consistency. It is a little too moist and sometimes if not cooked enough, it is a little doughy in the middle... but it is tasty and it definitely kills the craving! All you do is stir the ingredients into a mug and nuke it for about 3 minutes and your snack will be ready. I highly recommend this for anyone that cannot ignore sweet cravings or is cooking for people that have no patience (I am thinking about my 2 year old nephew here).

Vegan Vanilla-Cinnamon Mug Cake
*Serves one, less than 5 minutes to make
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1.5 tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/8 – 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp almond  milk
  • 3/4 Tbsp oil
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • Cooking spray
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • ½ tsp brown sugar 

First, spray the cooking spray into a microwavable mug. If you don’t do this, you can’t get the cake out, but you can just eat it out of the mug that way too.. so this is kind of optional.

Now put all dry ingredients into a small bowl and stir until combined. Add the milk, oil, and vanilla and stir to combine.  I use a fork for this, but whatever works. Pour the batter into your mug. In a small bowl combine the remaining cinnamon and brown sugar and sprinkle it on top of the batter. Put it in the microwave. Cook on high for 3 minutes and check with a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is ready. If not microwave at 10 second intervals and check each time. Overcooking it will make the consistency a little blech.

That’s it! I am hoping that I can update with a few more flavours for this. Chocolate, pumpkin, caramel, strawberry are coming to mind right now.. We’ll see. In the meantime, if you have made this recipe in other flavours, please share it!!

Have a good night J

1 comment:

  1. You have all those ingredients in a hotel room?

    Oh, and I was so proud of myself when I made it, thinking I was going to be super mom...Ben didn't like it. He's a weird kid.

    ReplyDelete