Saturday, October 1, 2011

Happy World Vegetarian Day!


Vegan Mofo day one. Last year I missed the boat for Vegan Mofo and promised myself that this year, I would give it a go. For those that don't know. Vegan Month of Food was started by the Post Punk Kitchen where the month of October, vegan bloggers take to their keyboards and blog as much as they can about all that is vegan. I doubt it is a coincidence that vegan mofo begins on world vegetarian day. For info, check out http://www.veganmofo.com/ they have an rss feed you can subscribe to and they just recently got the blog roll up http://www.veganmofo.com/blogroll/ check out all the blogs participating! There are so many!

This could not have come at a better time for me. For anyone that reads the Angry Vegan, you would have noticed that my blogging has decreased over the last few months. To be honest, I let life get in the way. Things were not good for a while, things were hectic for a while and the next thing I knew, weeks had gone by without a post! A lot of work goes into maintaining a blog (even a super simple on like this one) and you really need to keep committed.

So, as I said, Vegan Mofo is perfect timing for me to get back on track! I have a lot planned and I am going to try and blog every day this month. Help keep me motivated and comment when you're reading. Send me some blog ideas.

I hope to post something else today, but fighting a small hangover and a busy day planned, I thought I would start simple and share today's hangover breakfast.

It is not often that I get a hangover, but this morning I woke up a little out of it and a little headache-y. After getting some water and an ibuprofen.. It became clear that breakfast was needed ASAP! After a late night, I am not into making a big breakfast. I want something quick, easy, with not a lot of mess and with some extra carbs. On the menu today? Pan fried mochi and a green monster.

What is mochi you say? Well, I had no idea what this Japanese treat was either until I saw it in The Kind Diet. Mochi is a glutenous rice that is cooked and then pounded into a paste and then shaped and hardened. I get mine a Planet Organic usually, but I bet you would find it in Asian markets too. There are a few flavours out there, but I like the regular one best. You can do lots with mochi. One of my favourite ones is mochi waffles (Click here for recipe)

Sometimes, I want to keep it simple. Like today. Here is a quick and easy way to enjoy mochi:

Pan Fried Mochi
Adapted from The Kind Diet
Serves 1, about 20 min

  • 1/3 package of Mochi, cut into 2" squares
  • 1 tbsp oil (I used grape seed, but what ever you got should work)
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp brown rice syrup (Or agave)


Heat your pan to medium low and add the oil. While it is heating up, cut the mochi. This requires a sharp knife and a bit of strength. Once the oil is hot, add the mochi to the pan and cook for about five minutes. Keep an eye on it and if it looks like the mochi is browning quickly, lower the heat a bit. Flip the mochi and drizzle the soy sauce on top. Cover and cook for another four to five minutes. The mochi will start to melt and get puffy and turn into weird shapes.. that's how you know it is ready. 


Remove from the heat and drizzle the brown rice syrup. Serve with a green monster (click here for the recipe) and a cup of coffee/tea.

So simple. Sorry for the so-so pics. Hangovers and photography do not go well together!


Have a good Saturday!

4 comments:

  1. I love how MoFo has inspired so many people to start blogging again after a few months away from it, myself included! Happy MoFo-ing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also used MoFo as an excuse to re-commit to my blog--and I'm so glad I did as the rewards are vast. So much awesome vegan community.

    I love that you have a mochi recipe because it is seriously one of my top 5 foods ever; I can never get enough. Never.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took a night off from cooking yesterday and went out for dinner. My friend James ensured me that he found a really good vegan-friendly restaurant that had to be tried.
    Travel ipod speakers

    ReplyDelete