Thursday, October 13, 2011

More pumpkin! And the Perfect Muffin Formula

Well, this may be the last of the pumpkin recipes for a while. I am starting to feel a little pumpkin'd out! I already made a soup and a dessert, so I figured it was time for breakfast. I Have heard of a few ways to incorporate pumpkin into breakfast. Oatmeal, smoothies, breads and muffins. I have one cup of pumpkin left, so I get a choice of one of these. I have decided on muffins and maybe if there is a bit left over I will see if can incorporate it into a green smoothie! Maybe I'm not so sick of pumpkin yet.


I am not sure what else I can say... pumpkin is awesome. It is such a versatile vegetable. 


So, muffins... have you ever heard of the perfect muffin formula? Well, you are in for a treat! There are a few of these out there, but they all generally end at the same result. Good muffins. All you need is to have the formula of how much dry and wet ingredients are required to get the right consistency. This is my formula:


Perfect Muffin Formula
Makes 12 muffins


Wet Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup earth balance or oil (butter makes it more cakey, you can use more, but I wouldn't go over 1/2 cup)
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1 chia egg (1 tsp chia seed and 2 Tbsp water)
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cup of choice liquids (flavour): apple sauce, vegan yogurt, sour cream, juice, mashed banana, milk, pumpkin, fruit etc. If you are using a thini liquid like water, use 1 cup, if you are using thicker luiquid, use 1 1/2 cups
The dry ingredients:

  • 1-1/2 to 2 cup flour (depending on how much wet ingredients you have)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp salt
  • Extra dry ingredients: herbs, spices, zest, fruit, nuts, seeds, chocolate etc.

Preheat your oven to 375 F. Get two bowls and mix your wet ingredients and dry ingredients separately. Add the dry into the wet and stir until just combined. It's OK if your batter is lumpy. Next if you are adding chocolate chips, nuts sees etc. Add them last (If you didn't do this, that's OK). Bake for 20 - 25 minutes for muffins. 



*Note: You can make this recipe into a loaf, just bake at 350 F for 50 - 60 minutes.


Here is how I made my muffins:


Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins

  • 1/4 cup earth balance
  • 1/2 brown sugar
  • 1 chia egg (1 tsp chia seed and 2 Tbsp water)
  • 1 cup pumpkin
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup oat meal
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp all spice
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips


Follow the above instructions. I put the chocolate chips in last and then topped each muffin with a walnut and a little extra brown sugar.

Prepare the wet and dry ingredients..

Add dry to the wet and stir

And.. bake
So next time you want to have some muffins and want to show off that you don't need a recipe, remember this basic formula. Also remember that you want a somewhat thick batter at the end (in between cakes and cookies). If yours is too thick, add a little more milk, too thin? Add a little extra flour. There are no real rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment