Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pumpkin Upside Down Cake

It is Thanksgiving and in my family, we don't do much. However my sister's family does.. So I will be crashing their festivities tomorrow and to ensure that they will let me, I decided to break out the big guns and make Pumpkin Upside Down Cake.

Confession, I forgot to add the chia eggs! Otherwise, this cake holds together just fine.

I actually got this recipe from a funeral. It was so good, that I knew I couldn't leave without finding out what this delicious dessert was. Luckily I did get to take it home with me. It is ridiculously easy to make, but I never thought I could have it again because it called for three eggs and evaporated milk. The eggs was not an issue except for that I normally only make recipes with one or two substituted eggs. Evaporated milk is a whole other issue.

Is there a vegan evaporated milk? Can this be done? I had never seen one before, so I did some googling to find out what was out there. Turns out it is pretty easy. Get some soy milk powder and then double the ratio of dry to water.

So with that small obstical out of the way, here it goes. Let's veganize the best pumpkin recipe I have tried!

Pumpkin Upside-Down Cake
*Addapted from some maritimer's recipe
  • One 14 Oz (414 ml) can of pure pumkin
  • 1 1/2 cups of soy milk
  • 3/8 of a cup of instant soy milk powder
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 2 tsp chia seeds
  • 4 Tbsp water
  • 4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 box of vegan cake mix
  • 3/4 cup melted vegan margarine

Pre-heat the oven to 350 F and grease a 9 X 13" cake pan. 

First, make the evaporated milk. Combine the soy milk powder and the soy milk. I used my magic bullet to mix them together, but if you don't have one, just stir it really well until combined. Next, make the chia eggs. Grind the chia seeds in a coffee grinder (or if you have a magic bullet, use it here). Pour in the water and let it sit for a couple minutes. Next whisk or blend in the magic bullet your grinded seeds and the water until it has an eggy consistency.
Like almost all baked goods, mix, pour, bake. So easy!

Now, combine the milk, sugar, pumpkin, egg and spice in a bowl and stir until combined. Pour the mixture into the greased cake pan and distribute it evenly. Now pour the cake mix on top and the top that with the chopped pecans. Lastly, take the melted margarine and pout this all over the cake (as evenly as you can get it. if there is dry cake mix still, that's OK)

Bake it in the oven for 50 - 60 minutes or until it is browned on top. Let it cool for an hour or so before serving. Serve with vegan ice cream or whipped cream.

Ahh... pumpkin bliss in one hour. 90% of that is just sitting around waiting. That is the hardest part.

If this won't allow me to be able to bust in on other people's thanksgiving, I don't know what will!

4 comments:

  1. I took a night off from cooking yesterday and went out for dinner. My friend James ensured me that he found a really good vegan-friendly restaurant that had to be tried.
    Travel ipod speakers

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks great.i will try this for sure.

    As Seen On TV Products is a convenient one stop shop. It contains the hottest products seen on TV. We provide safe and secure ordering facilities to ensure the customer have a good shopping experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if I wish that everyone else would join me, I know that can't control that. So I take charge of myself and I am thankful that I can do that. I am not going to hide at home on these meat-fests. I am going to be out there making sure everyone around me knows I have good food too.
    .net training in chandigarh

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! I've been craving pumpkin desserts lately with all the delicious concoctions people have been posting!

    ReplyDelete